Welcome to the Better Living for Texans Page!
We provide research and evidence-based nutrition, health and wellness knowledge to empower individuals, families, and communities to make positive changes for healthier lives.
BLT Program Team
Karen Cantu – BLT Extension Agent
Virtual Choose Healthy Youth Program
Every Tuesday – June 8, 15, 22 and 29 at 2:00 PM
Better Living for Texans has partnered up with Mayor Joe V. Sanchez Public Library to bring to you virtually the Choose Healthy youth program! The Choose Healthy program is a free 4-session series that will start on June 8, 2021. Students will learn about making healthier choices regarding food, drinks and physical activity. The participants will have the opportunity to receive a certificate if they complete 3 of the 4 sessions and receive educational reinforcement items to aid them on their path to making healthier choices. Parents can register their kids by clicking the photo above or scanning the QR code on the flyer. An email will be sent to parents with a Microsoft TEAMS link where students can view the program. For more information please feel free to reach out to Karen Cantu at (956) 383- 1026 or email@example.com. Thank you, see you there!
Goals of the Better Living for Texans Program are to assist limited resource families in acquiring needed knowledge, skills and behaviors necessary to maximize resources, have nutritionally sound diets and improve health status and self-sufficiency.
Texas Families will learn to:
- Maximize the use of individual and family resources through budgeting and sound consumer decision making in buying nutritious foods. Make informed choices based on an understanding of dietary guidelines and the My Plate and plan safe, economical, nutritionally sound meals for the family.
- Increase healthy prevention strategies that encourage individual and family nutritional status and well-being.
- Strengthen basic skills of family food planning to enhance child nutritional status and well-being.
- Increasing fruit and vegetable intake while improving access to fruits and vegetables through our gardening programs.
- Promoting physical activity through our programs.
Educational Session Audiences
- Club Meetings
- Church Organizations
- Growing and Nourishing Healthy Communities – Garden Course
- A Fresh Start to a Healthier You!
- Be Well, Live Well
- Get the Facts
- Healthy Carbohydrates
- Balancing Food & Play
- Choose Healthy
- Color Me Healthy
- Learn, Grow, Eat & GO!
Physical Activity Programs (Adult/Youth)
- Walk Across Texas! (WAT!)
- Walk N Talk!