Welcome to the Better Living for Texans Page!
We provide research and evidence-based nutrition, health and wellness knowledge to empower individuals, families, and communities to make positive changes for healthier lives.
BLT Program Team
Karen Cantu – BLT Extension Agent
Goals of the Better Living for Texans Program are to assist limited resource families in acquiring needed knowledge, skills and behaviors necessary to maximize resources, have nutritionally sound diets and improve health status and self-sufficiency.
Texas Families will learn to:
- Maximize the use of individual and family resources through budgeting and sound consumer decision making in buying nutritious foods. Make informed choices based on an understanding of dietary guidelines and the My Plate and plan safe, economical, nutritionally sound meals for the family.
- Increase healthy prevention strategies that encourage individual and family nutritional status and well-being.
- Strengthen basic skills of family food planning to enhance child nutritional status and well-being.
- Increasing fruit and vegetable intake while improving access to fruits and vegetables through our gardening programs.
- Promoting physical activity through our programs.
Educational Session Audiences
- Club Meetings
- Church Organizations
- Growing and Nourishing Healthy Communities – Garden Course
- A Fresh Start to a Healthier You!
- Be Well, Live Well
- Get the Facts
- Healthy Carbohydrates
- Balancing Food & Play
- Choose Healthy
- Color Me Healthy
- Learn, Grow, Eat & GO!
Physical Activity Programs (Adult/Youth)
- Walk Across Texas! (WAT!)
- Walk N Talk!
Get A Taste For Reducing Food Waste!
On Wednesdays from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM
November 30th – December 21st, 2022