Registration for the Fashion Show Workshop will be closed on November 30, 2023 at 11:45 p.m. There must be at least 5 participants register to host this workshop.
This form is not yet available.***All forms with deadlines are due to the Hidalgo County Extension Office before 5 p.m. at 410 North 13th Ave, Edinburg, TX 78541. *** Questions on Fashion Show, contact Joanne Ureste-Armijo.
Do you like to be creative in what you wear and the space around you? The 4-H Fashion and Interior Design program is perfect for you. In this project you can learn to design, construct and be a smart consumer when purchasing clothing and household items. Have fun creating environmentally friendly projects while exploring careers in the fashion and interior design industries. You can work on your own or with a group.
Design your project around the parts of fashion and interior design that you enjoy, such as:
- applying elements and principles of design
- learn to operate a sewing machine
- fabric science labs
- fashion and interior design sketching
- consumer buying skills
- creating a storyboard for your designs
- creating one of a kind items for home decorating
- upcycling items for a new purpose
- Download – Project Information Sheet
- Weblink – JOANN Mini-grant Application and Information
- Download – Explore Guide: Duds To Dazzle
- Download – Explore Guide: Sewing Basics
- Download – Explore Guide: Housing and Home Environment – Interior Design
- Download – Clothes that Click Lesson – Curriculum Zip File
- Download – Clothing Capers – Curriculum Zip File
- Download – Clothing Quality Standards
- Download – Housing Design and Improvement Curriculum
- Download – Iowa Color Wheel
- Weblink – FCH Contest Learning Series: Fashion Storyboards
- Weblink – Burn Baby Burn! Gorgeous Fabrics University
- Weblink – National 4-H Curriculum
- Weblink – Design Decisions Curriculum
Make it with Wool
- Event Site: Texas Fleece & Fiber Festival, Hill County Youth Event, 3785 Highway 27, Kerrville, TX 78028-7100
Entry Deadline: October 15, 2023
Event Date: October 28, 2023
Divisions Offered: Pre-Teen-Junior-Senior-Adult-Made for Others-Wearable Accessory (Pre-teen only)
Contests and Activities
Rules, guidelines and paperwork are designed for senior level contests. Check your district 4-H website for junior and intermediate rules, guides and paperwork.
Duds to Dazzle
Duds to Dazzle Contest – During Duds to Dazzle, teams of 3 to 4 receive textiles and each team has 60 minutes to create a new product using items from the supply closet. Each team provides their own supply kit (Supply kit list found in Duds to Dazzle guide). The teams then present their item to a team of judges. You may also be tested on what you have learned about how the fashion and interior design industry impacts the environment, specifically the waste stream.
- Duds to Dazzle Guide
- Duds to Dazzle: Scorecard | Rules of play | Supply Kit | Worksheet | Interview Questions
- Orientation: Judges | Participant | Group Leader
- Duds To Dazzle Committee
Duds to Dazzle Solo Showcase Invitational – The 4-H Duds to Dazzle Solo Showcase Invitational is designed to provide youth the opportunity to participate in an individual Duds to Dazzle contest. Participants will utilize the knowledge and skills gained through participation in the 4-H Fashion and Interior Design project. Please refer to the Texas 4-H Roundup Guide for more details on contest date and location, as well as registration requirements.
Duds to Dazzle Contest Resources:
- Explore Guide: Duds To Dazzle
- Duds to Dazzle Youtube Instructional Video Playlist
- Hand Stitching (15.105). SEW-lutions Guidelines, Your Guide to Successful Sewing
- How Does Fast Fashion Affect the Environment
- Laundry on Your Own
- Pricing Tips and Tricks
- Safety Guide
- Simple Seaming Techniques (11.110). SEW-lutions Guidelines, Your Guide to Successful Sewing
- Unraveling the Mystery of Design Elements and Principles in Clothing
The Fashion Show is designed for 4-H members to showcase their skills in buying and construction. You will create a clothing or fashion item, turn in paperwork explaining your item, complete an interview with a panel of judges, and last but not least, model the outfit on the runway.
- Construction: General Rules/Guidelines | Entry Form | Score Sheet | Interview Questions
- Buying: General Rules/Guidelines | Entry Form | Score Sheet | Interview Questions
Natural Fiber Contest
The Natural Fiber contest is part of the Fashion Show. Members choose to buy or construct an outfit made from either cotton or wool/mohair/alpaca. You will exhibit what you’ve learned about cotton and wool/mohair. Specific fiber contents are found in the contest guidelines.